(the original language of the reports is german - some of these papers are not translated)
Filder is an agglomeration near Stuttgart, the capital city of the german country Baden Württemberg. This region is highly affected by noise from supra-regional traffic flows (Autobahn BAB 8, motorway B 27, Stuttgart Airport).
End of the year 2000 the ministry for environment and traffic of Baden-Württemberg and the communities around the airport that cooperate in a working group Filder decided to order an expertise about an effective action plan to reduce the noise and to prevent the inhabitants from a further increase of noise levels. This was published with an invitation to bid and as a result of the evaluation the noise consultancy ACCON GmbH in munich was contracted. 25% of the total costs where payed by each mandator, 50% where payed by the airport Stuttgart.
The size of the total area covered by the expertise is about 188 km² and comprises the southern parts of the city Stuttgart (Vaihingen, Möhringen, Rohr, Dürrlewang, Fasanenhof, Plieningen) and of Esslingen (community Berkheim), the communities Denkendorf, Filderstadt, Neuhausen, Ostfildern (areas Scharnhausen, Scharnhäuser Park, Nellingen, Kemnat), Leinfelden-Echterdingen and Steinenbronn.
The expertise should take into account noise from roads, railways, airport and air traffic, industry and commercial areas and sporting- and leisure areas. It should include the following steps:
The study shows that this region is characterised by high noise levels from the noise sources airport and roads influencing large areas. The calculations show also that these noise levels will raise considerable if the planned activities and the prognostisized increase of traffic flows are taken into account. Many noise abatement measures are necessary to prevent the area from this level increase.
- Calculation of noise maps for the above mentioned source types related to the existing noise situation (year 2000) and the future development (year 2010 + X). The noise maps of 2010 + X should take into account the planned projects " Fair on the Filder" and "Stuttgart 21". The noise maps for the different noise source types should be related to day (6h - 22 h) and night (22h - 6h) separately.
- Production of noise sensitivity maps and conflict maps
- Analysis of the noise situation taking into account noise levels and number of people annoyed
- Development and proposal of noise abatement measures and evaluation of their effectiveness
- Long term measurements to evaluate the accuracy of calculated maps
For all areas and with resolutions down to single estates the existing and future noise situation and the resulting conflict areas are presented as maps. Noise abatement measures to reduce these conflicts are proposed, the effectivity of these measures is quantified and the cost of these measures are related to the potential noise reduction.
One of the important steps is the presentation of the existing noise distribution via Internet, because this allows to take the existing noise situation into account during all planning steps of cities and communities.